Remember When life was so much easier

Life has been so busy with raising children, running a business,working fulltime you sometimes forget the simple things in life. Remember how things were when you were younger. Today there is so many chemicals and additives added into our everyday items. This year our family is trying to llive a more natural life. This blog will contain recipes, gardening tips, links to other blogs who share the same passion as I do.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Saving for the piece of paradise.

DH already left this morning for work.  Besides his forklift job for G James he also occassionally ties up ships in the Brisbane River so this morning he has left to do a ship at 10am then off to G James to start at 2pm.  Yes that is a big gap in time but with the price of petrol  $149.9 cents a litre in the Redcliffe Area it is not worth coming back home.

We also have one of Bill's mates living with us at the moment so every little cent helps.  This is only temporary for a couple of weeks.  So I am the Rose between the thorns in this household.  3 males and 1 female but not a problem.  Marks first day here on Sunday had him mowing the lawn.  Shock to the system that no nagging was done to get this chore done.  The last few times I had been doing it so it was good to have someone else do it.

So we need to pay of about $25000 and save about $30 000.  This is very achievable but not sure DH will be able to cope with no takeaways,  and giving up smoking.  $20 a packet is to dear now.  Thank goodness I quit 2 years ago.  Anyway his credit card is in a glass of ice in the freezer and I have control of the ATM card and he gets an allowance.  ATM he is not happy.  I suppose he has been spoilt over the last 25 years. 



So today I looked at how we could save some money.  When I had my shop I use to sell Soap Nuts and I have had plenty left so they have been sitting in a box.  Today I pulled them out and got on the internet and worked out how I can turn them into a greener cleaning product.  I now have 2 litres of natural washing liquid scented with Eucalyptus Oil.  This should keep me going for a couple of weeks plus you can use it as a liquid soap, shampoo, floor cleaner, just about anything but I will start as a washing liquid.



 Then I got to thinking what other products do I use that I can change over and use a natural product.  Good old vinegar.  My bathrooms and toilets are now smelling and clean with vinegar and Eucalyptus.


  I also have a tin of handmade  Vapour Rub.  Number one son has a bad cough and I had run out of Vicks so decided to make my own with out the petroleum jelly.  Good old beeswax, olive oil, euclayptus oil and Vitamin E capsule.


  I will let you know how it works but already have an order from Sarah for some for the grandchildren.  I don't know how much I saved today.  But 2 litres of washing liquid sets you back about $6-$8, Vick Vapour Rub is about $5-$6 and all purpose bathroom cleaner about $4-$5.   Every little bit helps.

Do you have any handmade remedies or recipes that you use.  Please let me know.

cheers

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment